Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
JUCO Impact
RaysnNoles Offline

JUCO Impact
I know FSU is in scramble mode and is getting some really talented JUCO players who have a lot of promise but I try not to expect to much out of them. My question is what JUCO players have really made an impact at their time at FSU?

The most recent once that comes to my mind is Raphael Lopez but his impact, aside from his defense, wasn't felt till his senior season.
07-17-2012 08:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LuLu Offline

RE: JUCO Impact
There isn't much to choose from but position players haven't really been procured from the JUCO ranks in recent years. The only ones I can think of in recent years are Lopez, Meschke and Spradling. I think there have been more pitchers from JUCO on recent years.
07-17-2012 05:34 PM
fsugeo Offline

In the last 10 years or so:

Nick Rogers
Jerrod Brown
Blake Balkcom
Rhett James
Daniel Davidson
Gibbs Chapman
Bryan Henry
Luke Tucker
Michael Hyde
Elih Vilanueva
Rafael Lopez
Daniel Bennett

I don't recall many of these guys (Lopez at BC) having signed with D1 schools before going to JUCO.

Also, beside Mark Hallberg, Brent Marsh and Tony Delmonico can anyone come up with other transfers from four year schools.
07-17-2012 09:00 PM
dal4fsu Offline

(07-17-2012 09:00 PM)fsugeo Wrote:  In the last 10 years or so:

Nick Rogers
Jerrod Brown
Blake Balkcom
Rhett James
Daniel Davidson
Gibbs Chapman
Bryan Henry
Luke Tucker
Michael Hyde
Elih Vilanueva
Rafael Lopez
Daniel Bennett

I don't recall many of these guys (Lopez at BC) having signed with D1 schools before going to JUCO.

Also, beside Mark Hallberg, Brent Marsh and Tony Delmonico can anyone come up with other transfers from four year schools.

Some real quality guys on that list. Are you sure Bryan Henry was a Juco? Seems like he was here forever... LOL.
07-17-2012 11:35 PM
[FluffyBunny] Offline
Administrator

(07-17-2012 09:00 PM)fsugeo Wrote:  Also, beside Mark Hallberg, Brent Marsh and Tony Delmonico can anyone come up with other transfers from four year schools.

Code:
17 Brandon Reichert INF R-R 6’3” 215 SR-R Tallahassee, FL (TCC, Mercer Univ)

Does this count? Not sure which Division Mercer is in. And I seem to remember there being something weird with his situation.
07-18-2012 07:57 AM
RaysnNoles Offline

Bryan Henry for sure was a JUCO, North Florida CC. The players geo listed for sure were extremely productive in the big bat era, my major concern is just how recently JUCO guys have struggled.

Wil Breton, Seth Miller, Robby Stahl, Spradling are guys who recently have not contributed at all. Although I am encouraged by the fact that the three JUCO guys we had all were talented enough out of HS to warrant scholarships from big time programs.

Also while researching an article I looked up total number of JUCO players on each ACC team the past 2 years.
12 - FSU
10 - NCST
9 - Maryland
7 - VT
4 - UVA
3 - WF
2 - Miami
1 - UNC
0 - Duke, BC, GT
Clemson's athletic website is down.

This obviously goes back to a coach who is no longer at FSU but is still creating a mess a year plus after his departure.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2012 10:42 AM by RaysnNoles.)
07-18-2012 08:41 AM
dal4fsu Offline

(07-18-2012 08:41 AM)RaysnNoles Wrote:  Bryan Henry for sure was a JUCO, North Florida CC. The players geo listed for sure were extremely productive in the big bat era, my major concern is just how recently JUCO guys have struggled.

Wil Breton, Seth Miller, Robby Stahl, Spradling are guys who recently have not contributed at all. Although I am encouraged by the fact that the three JUCO guys we had all were talented enough out of HS to warrant scholarships from big time programs.

Also while researching an article I looked up total number of JUCO players on each ACC team the past 2 years.
12 - FSU
10 - NCST
9 - Maryland
7 - VT
4 - UVA
3 - WF
2 - Miami
1 - UNC
0 - Duke, BC, GT

This obviously goes back to a coach who is no longer at FSU but is still creating a mess a year plus after his departure.

The difference is those guys were "transitional players" from the big-bat era. That is to say, in JUCO they were playing with the big bats, and when they arrived here, they weren't. I am more confident now as the guys we are getting are playing in JUCO with the new bats AND performing at a high level. They'll be a transition, but it won't be as severe.
07-18-2012 11:34 AM
[FluffyBunny] Offline
Administrator

It is a little unfair to say that Seth Miller has not contributed at all...
07-18-2012 01:29 PM
RaysnNoles Offline

Re: RE: JUCO Impact
(07-18-2012 01:29 PM)FluffyBunny Wrote:  It is a little unfair to say that Seth Miller has not contributed at all...

.212/.328/.349 with 15BB and 41Ks is contributing but not well
07-18-2012 01:46 PM
fsugeo Offline

(07-18-2012 07:57 AM)FluffyBunny Wrote:  
(07-17-2012 09:00 PM)fsugeo Wrote:  Also, beside Mark Hallberg, Brent Marsh and Tony Delmonico can anyone come up with other transfers from four year schools.

Code:
17 Brandon Reichert INF R-R 6’3” 215 SR-R Tallahassee, FL (TCC, Mercer Univ)

Does this count? Not sure which Division Mercer is in. And I seem to remember there being something weird with his situation.

(07-18-2012 11:34 AM)dal4fsu Wrote:  
(07-18-2012 08:41 AM)RaysnNoles Wrote:  Bryan Henry for sure was a JUCO, North Florida CC. The players geo listed for sure were extremely productive in the big bat era, my major concern is just how recently JUCO guys have struggled.

12 - FSU
10 - NCST
9 - Maryland
7 - VT
4 - UVA
3 - WF
2 - Miami
1 - UNC
0 - Duke, BC, GT

The difference is those guys were "transitional players" from the big-bat era. That is to say, in JUCO they were playing with the big bats, and when they arrived here, they weren't. I am more confident now as the guys we are getting are playing in JUCO with the new bats AND performing at a high level. They'll be a transition, but it won't be as severe.

There are only five offensive players on the list going back about 12 years, so I think it is safe to say we've missed on many more JUCO guys than have contributed significantly.

Right or wrong, I do like that the fact these guy signed with big schools our of high school and two of the three were wanted by UF and South Carolina now.

Fluffy--Good call on Brandon Reichert.
07-18-2012 04:53 PM