Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ways To Improve Howser?
NoleCC Offline

Ways To Improve Howser?
I know we've gone through this before, but we haven't here yet. I'm curious what would be on your wishlist for Howser improvements (other than beer sales).

For me:
  1. Extend the grandstand to the bleacher areas even if we leave those seats bleachers
  2. A small sportshop on the 1B side
  3. Bigger video board
  4. Our very own Miami Marlins OF HR Sculpture (I'm kidding)
07-09-2012 02:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
[FluffyBunny] Offline
Administrator

RE: Ways To Improve Howser?
I'd get the wall where the floating Buster Posey is filled out (under the grandstands 1B side. Looks terrible).

Its like they started installing something and never finished.
07-09-2012 03:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TallyFish Offline

Yes, we have gone through this before and some of the results are great. Fans ( air moving variety) were added and provide a comfortable stadium on those very warm days. Food options were another issue that was addressed, changes made and IMHO with mixed results. The hamburgers and wursts from the open grill on the plaza are very tasty and the special Sunday lunch meal is also a welcome addition. It still would be nice to see something, anything that we could call a Howser "signature" menu item.

While it would be nice to add a new larger video board and imporve the bleacher areas we are at a stage in the live of Howser that we should be concerned with building maintenance. There are obvious signs of weathering and deteiroation that should be addressed to keep the physical plant in good condition. A fresh coat of paint comes to mind for many areas. Another issue I have observed is the slippery nature of the floor and stairs after the first few games of the season in the grandstand. I know the grandstand and bleachers are being cleaned out after games but I don't believe a regular washing of the walking areas is being effectively accomplished.

After the stadium has received a good spruce up and minor improvements addressed then it would be nice to see a concerted effort to establish a vison of what the fans would like to Howser become. It would be nice to see the Bull Pen Club be more then it is today and become an advisory and action wing of Florida State Baseball.
07-09-2012 03:06 PM
NoleCC Offline

(07-09-2012 03:06 PM)TallyFish Wrote:  Yes, we have gone through this before and some of the results are great. Fans ( air moving variety) were added and provide a comfortable stadium on those very warm days. Food options were another issue that was addressed, changes made and IMHO with mixed results. The hamburgers and wursts from the open grill on the plaza are very tasty and the special Sunday lunch meal is also a welcome addition. It still would be nice to see something, anything that we could call a Howser "signature" menu item.

While it would be nice to add a new larger video board and imporve the bleacher areas we are at a stage in the live of Howser that we should be concerned with building maintenance. There are obvious signs of weathering and deteiroation that should be addressed to keep the physical plant in good condition. A fresh coat of paint comes to mind for many areas. Another issue I have observed is the slippery nature of the floor and stairs after the first few games of the season in the grandstand. I know the grandstand and bleachers are being cleaned out after games but I don't believe a regular washing of the walking areas is being effectively accomplished.

After the stadium has received a good spruce up and minor improvements addressed then it would be nice to see a concerted effort to establish a vison of what the fans would like to Howser become. It would be nice to see the Bull Pen Club be more then it is today and become an advisory and action wing of Florida State Baseball.

You make a good a point about the upkeep / maintenance of the stadium. There are a couple of scary looking areas around the concourse overlooking the football practice fields.
07-09-2012 03:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
smhnole Offline

(07-09-2012 03:02 PM)FluffyBunny Wrote:  I'd get the wall where the floating Buster Posey is filled out (under the grandstands 1B side. Looks terrible).

I'm not sure about others, but I rarely walk along the bottom. Something similar as what we have on the bottom, but on the "main level" seems like it would be seen by more people. I'd also like to see something to remember former POYs/GS winners on the outfield wall where there isn't advertising - maybe in the form of a jersey outlines with numbers and names on them.

Having the grandstand expand to the entire 1B line would be aesthetically pleasing, but I'm not sure if it would provide a good ROI. The bleachers are hardly ever full. I understand the argument that if it was covered to protect from the sun more people would come out, but that doesn't explain why it isn't full at the beginning of the season.
07-09-2012 03:49 PM
S.M.inole Offline

Howser is PERFECT!

maybe year round baseball
07-09-2012 05:35 PM
MartyNole Offline

I'm not crazy about the politically intense talk radio station that's blasted into the rest rooms and other stadium locations before game time. Not being a listener of talk radio of any political stripe, I'm guessing that this is the station that later broadcasts 'Noles games, but this stuff sometimes is on for hours at the stadium and associating the team - and the school - with any political affiliation, right or left, seems wrong. The solution is easy: Broadcast music, or nothing, before the game starts, and switch on the station when the game broadcast begins. And, yes, I am bracing for what I expect will be a...vigorous...reaction. ("Paging Buffalopoboy. Buffalopoboy to the white courtesy phone, please.") Smile
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2012 07:43 PM by MartyNole.)
07-09-2012 07:27 PM
griff Offline

Re: Ways To Improve Howser?
I would still like to see better food. Maybe something like they had at Tampa Bay. $8 all you can drink soda in a special collector's cup. Cleaning up the stadium period. Paint the floors gold. Not much can be done to the stadium b/c of money
07-09-2012 07:49 PM
[FluffyBunny] Offline
Administrator

I agree with Tally's and Marty's points. We had Animals bring ratchet sets in to tighten up the bolts on the seats in the grandstands. I'm sure there are seats elsewhere that need the same treatment. Heck, you could probably get a bunch of Animals to volunteer over a weekend or two in the fall when the football team is out of town to come in and go row by row tightening everything down before the season. I'd do it for sure, I'm sure others would chip in. All they have to do is give us permission, or we could do it and ask forgiveness. Wink

For the bathroom speakers, just pipe in the same music playing in the stands before the game broadcast. Much better listening that blowhard radio.
07-10-2012 08:15 AM
NoleCC Offline

(07-09-2012 03:49 PM)smhnole Wrote:  
(07-09-2012 03:02 PM)FluffyBunny Wrote:  I'd get the wall where the floating Buster Posey is filled out (under the grandstands 1B side. Looks terrible).

I'm not sure about others, but I rarely walk along the bottom. Something similar as what we have on the bottom, but on the "main level" seems like it would be seen by more people. I'd also like to see something to remember former POYs/GS winners on the outfield wall where there isn't advertising - maybe in the form of a jersey outlines with numbers and names on them.

Having the grandstand expand to the entire 1B line would be aesthetically pleasing, but I'm not sure if it would provide a good ROI. The bleachers are hardly ever full. I understand the argument that if it was covered to protect from the sun more people would come out, but that doesn't explain why it isn't full at the beginning of the season.

Regarding the beginning of the season, a lot of times it's drizzle or freezing or freezing with drizzle and the wind loves to blow out of the north that time of year, right into your face on the 1B side. I hightailed my season tix over to the 3B side as quickly as I could.
07-10-2012 10:39 AM